Saturday, July 4, 2009

Bhakti Yoga

Earth Day Festival
Topanga Canyon
Malibu, California
Govinda Goddess Radha Bakti yoga
$10 suggested donation for festival entry

Since it's 4th of July I'm doing a short post for my Americanos


My first time doing this type of yoga, Bhakti means devotion to god/goddess and generally indicates great passion. In the 90/32 degree heat chanting to the goddess feels dizzying. "Jai mah! Jai mah, Jai mah" we all sing along with the beautiful voice and drum beats of Radha. There was a lot of simultanous jumping, spinning in circles with your arms out and chanting. My legs were very weak after the class.

Our warm up was free form, moving and spiraling to our own rhythms. Gentle loosening of energy, sweat trickles. Our teacher tells us: twisting = healing, breathing = singing. Durga, Sri, Kali we sing great praise. I really enjoyed moving in poses that are often held stationary. Spinning our arms in lunges in great circles, mimicing "the cosmic spiral" - the shape of our DNA.

I now must seek some shade to recover and hydrate.


No comments:

Post a Comment