Monday, June 29, 2009

Open Door Yoga

15th & Main
Teacher: Vesna
Drop-in fee: $10.00/first time
$17.00/regular dop-in


SUMMARY: There was good chanting, lots of relaxing and a few of those rare moments where you find yourself wearing a stranger's ass as a helmet. Almost every yoga mat was occupied in the large, largely beige room.

SETTING: Something unique: bamboo trimmed kleenex boxes alternately between mats. A long twisting umbilical cord of a hall was the passage into the warm womb of the building and from its second story windows one could watch cherry trees blossoming and casting off their blossoms into the wind of Main street's traffic.

As the class was nearly full, I was obliged to take a mat front and centre, staring straight into the crystal blue eyes of the blonde, perhaps Eastern European, middle-aged yoga teacher.

It seems strange now, all the relazing, the stillness of mind. Does clarity come from such stillness? Is the voice of my intuition louder here? Here character, constant analysis and cliche jokes were faded out. Imagine a student present and ready to learn. But where is the lesson? Perhaps I have not opened my ears to my inner self enough. My nausea has calmed, my body is freer of tension and my mind is inspired but hazed by the doubt of my own [momentary?] desires. savasana: I envisoned myself on the altar. I thought of painting a scene: dark, cloistered, splendid gold, cherry wood, diverse, brightly dressed patrons sitting in pews and on the alter myself; on my back, limbs splayed wide in ecstacy. Religious figures of all kinds and sects surround, preforming rituals, holding religious and phallic symbols.

STYLE & PACE: The class was slow paced. Moving in and out of poses safely, with all caution, was a big component of the practice. I found myself anticipating the next pose of the series consistently. There was frequent mention of the benefits of doing this, the benefits of yoga.

Always, this talk of the benefits. Must we believe fully in the transformative power of our act to give it power to transform? Is it brainwashing force fed as we - the student - must observe in silence the wisdom of ages? We are not invited to contest.

There was also lots of singing. We were invited to chant in the beginning as well as the end. And the teacher enjoyed adding song to the sounds of "In-haaaAAAAaaaaaaaaale, Ex-
haaaAAAAaaaaaaaaale."

SCENE: Olders, middle agers, my friend in attendance noted that many were shoppers at "Mainly Organics." I noticed some lotus tattoos on leathered skin. There were a few men but [as par yoga class usual] mostly women. There was only a small percentage of younger people.

MY EVALUATION: If your not too experienced in yoga or are looking for an intense work-out you might find this class tedious and get frustrated by distractions. If you like to take it easy and move through things slowly and conciously or have serious injuries/pains as a concern I bet it'd do the trick!

I think it's a bit expensive for a regular drop-in fee (especially if their classes are regularly that full!)

No comments:

Post a Comment